Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Sunday Salon - Best of 2009, Must-Reads for 2010

The Sunday Salon.com

I just started this blog in October, but there were a lot of great books I read this past year (not necessarily all released in 2009):
- The Hunger Games/Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
- Little Brother - Cory Doctorow
- Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher
- Graceling/Fire- Kristin Cashore
- The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan
- The Garden of Eve - K.L. Going
- Evil Genius/Genius Squad - Catherine Jinks
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - John Boyne
- A Perfect Gentle Knight - Kit Pearson

The best part of reading other book blogs is that you get so many recommendations of excellent books to read, especially now when everyone is making their "best of" lists. Right after Christmas I started making a list of all the books I wanted to read this year, partly based on what authors and book bloggers were recommending, partly based on next installments of series I'm already reading.

Books on my to-read list that have already been released:



The King of Attolia - Megan Whalen Turner (Book 3 of The Queen's Thief series)

This series came highly recommended and the first two haven't disappointed thus far (almost done with book 2, The Queen of Attolia).




The Ask and The Answer - Patrick Ness (Book 2 of the Chaos Walking series)

This series came highly recommended as well. Currently reading the first book (The Knife of Never Letting Go) and am pleased with it so far.




The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Steig Larrson

Again, bought this based on pure hype, hopefully it delivers.




Alice I Have Been - Melanie Benjamin

This is a fictional take on the life of Alice Liddell, the little girl who inspired Lewis Carroll's (Charles Dodgson) Alice in Wonderland. I always thought the history between these two was fascinating, so this book went on my list as soon as I saw the ads in Shelf Awareness.



Books on my to-read list that have yet to be released:



The Dead-Tossed Waves - Carrie Ryan (March)

This is the follow-up to The Forest of Hands and Teeth, following who I'm assuming is Mary's daughter.




A Conspiracy of Kings - Megan Whalen Turner (April)

The final book in The Queen's Thief series.




The Line - Terri Hall (March)

More dystopian fiction, woohoo!




The Twelve Kingdoms vol. 4 - The Skies of Dawn - Fuyumi Ono (March)

Series of Japanese fantasy novels that were the basis for an anime series that came out a few years ago. Thankfully Tokyopop began translating these a few years back and are churning out about one novel per year. March is always a happier month for me because of these books.




The Necromancer - Michael Scott (May)

Book 4 of The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series. Wonderful modern fantasy series that incorporates a lot of myths and legends.




Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris (May)

Book 10 of the Sookie Stackhouse novels. This is my guilty pleasure reading that I've also gotten all my girlfriends hooked on.




The Hunger Games Book 3 - Suzanne Collins (August)

I love how we know exactly when this book is coming out, but it doesn't have a title or cover art. The last book in The Hunger Games series, this is going to be one of those "showing up at the bookstore at midnight" releases for me, I don't think I've done that for a book since Harry Potter #4.

No comments:

Post a Comment