Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Katie Woo Rules the School - Fran Manushkin

Title: Katie Woo Rules the School
Author: Fran Manushkin
Publisher: Capstone Young Readers, 2013 (Paperback)
Length: 90 pages
Genre: Children's Realistic Fiction
Started: September 4, 2013
Finished: September 4, 2013

Summary:
From the back of the book:

For Katie Woo, school is one big adventure. Join the stylish schoolgirl as she learns how to be a great classmate and friend. From the school play to the class pet, Katie knows how to rule the school!

Review:
I am just starting to pick up 'big kid' books here and there for my daughter. Though she's not quite two, she'll be into chapter books before I know it, so if I see something appropriate, I'll pack it away for her. I hadn't heard of this series before getting a newsletter advertising it, apparently it's so popular it has it's own book club that you can sign up to receive this book for free.

After reading it, I'll definitely keep this for my daughter. These new books (6 in the series) are compilations of previously published separate stories (4 stories per book), so the format is perfect for young readers just starting out with chapter books. The sentences are short, and there's illustrations on every page, so again a perfect chapter book for the 6-8 year olds.

I especially like how multicultural the book universe is. All races and ethnicities are represented by Katie and her group of friends in their first grade class, which is what I look for in reading material for my daughter and my students. I don't always find stuff that is culturally varied, so it's wonderful when I come across something that does fit the bill.

If you've got a young reader in your home, I encourage you to sign up at the link above (through Facebook) to get a copy of this for your child to see for yourself.

Recommendation:
Perfect first chapter book for beginning readers with multicultural characters and good messages.

Thoughts on the cover:
It's cute with a nice colour scheme, sure to attract the kids. I like how the other books in the series utilize colours other than pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment