Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Awakening - Kelley Armstrong



Title: The Awakening (Book 2 in the Darkest Powers series)
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: Doubleday Canada, 2009 (Paperback)
Length: 357 pages
Genre: Young Adult; Fantasy
Started: July 2, 2010
Finished: July 11, 2010

Summary:
From the author's website:
If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl—someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I’m as far away from normal as it gets. I'm a living science experiment—not only can I see ghosts, but I can raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever. I’m running for my life with three of my supernatural friends and we have to find someone who can help us gain our freedom back before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.

Review:
Upon reading the second book of the series, I've decided I like these books, if for nothing else than scenes with Chloe and Derek together, I find them irresistible as a couple and I can't really explain why. This book continues with the events at the end of book 1: Chloe captured while the boys are still on the run, but she and Tori manage to escape and meet up with the boys and agree to travel to New York to find a family friend that might help them. I liked this book purely because Chloe and Derek are traveling alone for a good portion of it, I admit the only thing holding my interest is the relationship aspect, I'm not going to deny it. There's also further explanation and development of Chloe and Derek's powers, and with that their character development also. This is a fun little series so far, it's not the best out there but it still manages to peak my interest, so I'll pick up the third book and see yet again where this is going.

Recommendation:
If you're a fan of this series, you've read this already. If you haven't read the first book yet, give it a go and follow up with this one.

Thoughts on the cover:
Again with the focus on Chloe's necklace...they even accpunted for the changing colour, nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment